This year at SurferNETWORK was one of tremendous progress and new challenges. Several Patents in streaming media technology were issued by the US Patent Office; significant upgrades were made to the listener experience with the Music Trivia Player; and we invested a significant amount of time and money into a complete overhaul of our infrastructure, both hardware and software, which dramatically enhanced our services. Unfortunately, as with anything new and improved, it came with challenges – I apologize for any inconvenience caused by these upgrades. Now, with these speed bumps behind us we can all reap the benefits, forge ahead into 2014 and not look back.
Stay tuned for surprises and Special Announcements for 2014
SurferNETWORK will soon be recognized for providing our experience and expertise in a country thousands of miles away. We are not done with our Intellectual Patent Portfolio, major announcements soon to follow. And first and foremost, SurferNETWORK will be releasing an entirely new streaming experience in 2014 for all of our customers to enjoy.
Industry trends to expect in 2014
Edison Research and Arbitron (at the time) released a comprehensive Infinite Dial report that contained a wealth of insights for the radio industry. For your convenience, I selected a few key points to share with you.
- 45% of people have listened to Internet Radio in the past month and 33% in the last week, up from 39% last year and 29% respectively.
- 82% of Internet Radio Listeners also tuned into AM/FM within the same week
- 12% of people had listened to a podcast in the past month, but of those 12% average consumption is 6 podcasts a week, with 15% of people listening to between 6 and 10.
- 53% of people 12+ now own a smartphone. (75% of the 18-24 demo)
- Of the 44% of people that listen to online radio on their smartphones, 18% listen daily.
Their message is loud and clear, radio is still alive and doing well. But as always, there is room for improvement if you want to stay relevant in this fast paced digital world. Feel free to read more from the report on our blog.
Most of all the SurferNETWORK team is thankful in 2013 is to have the opportunity to celebrate our 15th year of serving the radio broadcasting community because of our outstanding customers like you. Thank you for your support. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and hope you have a healthy and happy Holiday Season.